Blogs > the jb show.

lazy vegetarians are everywhere. this is a collection of easy recipes and tips for dining out for vegetarians with little time or effort.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Vegan cream of mushroom and spinach soup.

For a vegetarian, I’ve never been good at liking mushrooms.

As I get older, I find more that work for me. Usually in dishes that don’t give me the mushroomy texture.

Cream of mushroom soup is not something I would have thought I’d ever find appealing.

So when presented with the idea of crafting a mushroom soup, I figured that would be a good challenge.

A friend’s basic cream of mushroom soup recipe was the base for this (thanks Kaik) and then I tried to make it taste less mushroomy.

I started with a mixture of mushrooms. You can use whatever variety you like best, but I chose mostly baby bellas with a few porcini, oyster and shitake.

Start by sauteing the mushrooms in olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. This should take about 10 minutes to brown them completely.

Add the garlic and ginger and allow them to saute for a few minutes.

Next, pour in the almond milk and the veggie bullion.

Raise heat to allow this to come to a brief boil, then reduce heat again and simmer, stirring frequently.

Add the soy sauce and sriracha according to your taste.

The spinach can be chopped or you can remove any stems, or just dump in all of it into the soup.

Allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes to combine the flavors.

Puree the soup in a food processor or blender, then put it back on the stove.

Heat the newly liquified soup and add about 1/4 cup of the potato flakes to thicken the soup.

Slowly add more potato flakes to thicken until the soup is at your desired consistency.

Ingredients

8 to 12 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced

2 to 3 tbsps. olive oil

1 quart almond milk

2 cubes vegetable bullion

1 package fresh baby spinach (6 oz)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp. ginger, minced

1 to 2 tbsps. soy sauce or Bragg’s

1 to 2 tsps. sriracha hot sauce

1/2 to 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home