Blogs > the jb show.

lazy vegetarians are everywhere. this is a collection of easy recipes and tips for dining out for vegetarians with little time or effort.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lazy Hummus

Herbivores love hummus.  Well, most of us do anyway. 
It is a versatile food that goes well as an appetizer with pretty much any type of meal or on a sandwich with some fresh veggies to be the meal. 
The best I’ve ever had is at a restaurant in Lansdale called The Oasis, but there are few places that I know of that serve bad hummus.
Store-bought hummus is usually passable, but seldom great. However, it will always do in a pinch.
For years I have been telling myself that I would try to make some at home and beat the stuff from the supermarket. 
Many vegetarians I know have done it and espouse the ease of the process; so I finally caved and gave it a shot.
The recipes I found were a variety of complexities, and many seemed like they would be great, but I settled on a combination of a few of the easier methods I read. 
You can use either a food processor or a blender to do the work.
If using a blender, you might want to make this recipe in halves and then combine later. 
I used my food processor, which has a pretty big bowl on it, so I was able to fit two cans of chickpeas with ease.
Add in the liquid from the can; a few tablespoons at first and save it to add more if it’s looking a little thick.
Put in the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, oil, salt and paprika.
Pulse the mixture slowly at first, then for longer as the ingredients start to mix.
It only takes a minute or two, but then take off the lid and check the hummus for consistency.  If it seems too dry, add more of the liquid reserved from the cans. If you go too far the other way and it is too runny, add more chickpeas. 
Hummus will taste better if it is a little wet rather than too dry. 
The whole concoction should go in the fridge for a while to allow the flavors to settle throughout. 
You can serve with sliced veggies and pita bread for dipping.
Hummus is also a great spread on a vegetable sandwich or as the main part of the sandwich. My favorite way is a simple pile of lettuce, hummus, tomato slices and cucumber on a good, hearty dark wheat bread or wrapped up in a pita.
Being my first batch ever, I was very happy with the results and the ease of it all. The time span from can opener to placing it in the fridge was less than fifteen minutes. The results were better than the plastic tub from the grocery store, but not near the awesomeness that comes from The Oasis.  
We will have to see how I do in round two.


Ingredients:
2-15oz cans of garbanzo beans (drained, but reserve the liquid)
4-6 tablespoons of liquid from the can
6 tablespoons of tahini
2 cloves of garlic, minced
5 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
1-2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon of paprika

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home